Skip Repetitive Navigational Links

Southern Pacific P-8 No.2472

Southern Pacific No.2472 was built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1921. It is a 4-6-2 Pacific type steam locomotive, having 4 leading wheels, 6 driving wheels, and 2 trailing wheels. Pacifics such as SP-2472 where designed primarily for passenger train service where sustained high-speeds were just as important as pulling...   read more

Southern Pacific GP-9 No.3194

Southern Pacific No.3194 (ex T&NO No.281, SP-5895 and SP-3001) is a General Motors Electro-Motive Division (EMD) GP9 equipped with steam generator and bi-directional control stands for passenger service. After the flood of streamlined cab units purchased by the Southern Pacific from 1947 to 1953, (see F-Unit page) the motive power...   read more

Southern Pacific Business Car No.141 "Oakland"

Southern Pacific No.141 was built by the Pullman Company in 1927 and delivered to the railroad on January 20, 1928 as the New York”. The car joined a distinguished fleet of business cars constructed by Pullman during the 1920's and was assigned to A. D. MacDonald, Chief Financial Officer of...   read more

Southern Pacific Lounge No.2979 "Neil M. Vodden"

Southern Pacific Club-Lounge No.2979 was originally built in 1912 by the Pullman Car Company as a baggage-club car. This car was one of six cars (Nos.2975-2980) converted to a 54-seat club-lounge configuration in 1940. The club-lounge cars were used on premier trains such as The Overland, The Lark, and The...   read more

Union Pacific RPO No.5901

Union Pacific No.5901 was one of a pool of seven Railway Post Office (RPO) cars — UP Nos.5900-5902, Chicago & Northwestern Nos.8225-8226 (by American Car and Foundry) and Southern Pacific Nos.5003-5004 (by Pullman Standard) — built in 1949 to add mail service to the SP-UP-C&NW streamliner City of San Francisco,...   read more

Southern Pacific H-12-44 No.1487

GGRM acquired SP-1487 in March, 1995 through the Department of General Services Surplus Property Program, which allows non-profit museums to obtain government surplus property. This engine was formerly U.S. Army No. 1847, based at Hawthorne, Nevada. Identical first generation locomotives of this type were purchased by the Southern Pacific and...   read more

Southern Pacific F-7's No.6378 & No.6380

They were called F's, or covered wagons. For years they pulled every style of train, from the Zephyr, to the Super Chief, to merchandise and local freights. Newer, bigger, more powerful locomotives made them obsolete. More than 7,600 were built by General Motors between 1939 and 1960. Of the thousands...   read more

Southern Pacific Chair Car No.293

In 1950, Southern Pacific bought two new Shasta Daylight train sets for Oakland - Portland service. A stand-out feature of this new train was its larger windows for viewing the Cascade mountain scenery. This was also SP's first and last train to feature aluminum construction for most of the body....   read more

Southern Pacific Coaches Nos.2097, 2143 & 2156

The Southern Pacific 72-foot interurban steel coach was first built in 1923 by the Pullman Company. The Southern Pacific Railroad ordered them specifically for San Francisco Bay Area commuter service to replace their aging fleet of wooden passenger cars. The first order was for 60 coaches, seating 96 passengers each....   read more

Southern Pacific Baggage-Postal Car No.5131

Southern Pacific baggage/mail car No.5131 is just over 72-feet long and one of the SP class 70-BP-30-1 cars built to Specification CSP-224. The car was delivered in 1923 by Standard Steel Car Company based on an order placed by the SP on March 22, 1923. Originally weighing 128,350 pounds, the...   read more