Southern Pacific #293
In 1950, Southern Pacific bought two new "Shasta Daylight" train sets for Oakland Portland service. A stand out feature of this new train was its larger windows for viewing the Cascade scenery. This was also SP's first and last train to feature aluminum construction for most of the body.
In 1954, SP purchased 10 similar cars, six for the Coast Daylight to replace pre-war cars, and four for the Shasta Daylight. This order was constructed of welded steel.
Many of these cars were used in the early 1970's in Amtrak service, and some were sold to private owners. Several were repainted into the Daylight scheme to accompany SP 4449 to New Orleans for the "Worlds Fair Daylight".
SP 2356 was held by SP for company service and given a number in the business car series, 293. It served SP for many years, and was an addition to several 2472 excursions. The car became surplus after the UP merger, and was acquired by a member and donated to GGRM.